Monday, September 22, 2014

Yoga: Back On The Mat

It was a rough few days - still losing water and up about every 1/2 hour at night to visit the bathroom and constant itching from the residual rash. Poor me!!! Despite life, I was able to maintain a sense of gratitude along with some feelings of being "beaten up". I was still able to walk with Tammie by the ocean, I was able to see the beauty in nature AND I have learned to use nature as a grounding opportunity for myself. Being recently certified in yoga, I receive updates on classes that are upcoming and restorative yoga was being offered this past weekend. I was excited to do this form of yoga because it is gentle, mild stretching, lots of breathing and just an opportunity to feel nurtured. Since the class offered was in Boston, I decided to google closer to home. Voila, there was a class available and I decided to go - fatigue, itch and all! When I arrived and prepped for class, I noticed that we were doing vinyasa - oops - what did I get myself into? I decided to go with the flow - how appropriate for a yoga class. I observed my thoughts and part of me felt nervous about being able to do any postures - after all, I've not done yoga in 2 1/2 months, have been cut up, laid up, puffed up! I also noticed that I felt a bit angry because I hurt. As the class went on, I was able to do so much more than I expected and the breath-work felt so good and energizing. I was able to adjust for poses that I cannot do as yet and I did not judge myself for not being where I was - ready to start teaching a mere 2 months ago. About 45 minutes later, we moved into the restorative part of the class and it felt amazing. I finished class, felt energized, clear and calm - those feelings that I crave from yoga. What I also learned from this experience is that while I had attended the yoga training to teach, I feel very comfortable not being in the driver seat, not being the leader or teacher, but am very content in this moment to be the spectator/participant. I am allowing things to come to me more and more, and am refusing the need to always be the leader. What a shift in consciousness. This past week, there have been many situations where I would normally get into networking gear, but am choosing to be the spectator and to just enjoy the experience. There is a physical shift when I am aware as well. Instead of being "on edge", sitting up with tension, I am sinking into the seat with comfort, feeling relaxed and connected to the earth. Yoga has been one of many venues to allow me to shift and I am so grateful for the tools at my disposal. Try a class, learn to use breath as a way to be in the moment in a relaxed state and don't judge yourself. With prana, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment