Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Bike Ride: Like No Other

Today I awoke with more energy and a desire to really take that bike ride that I have yearned for since my staph infection and subsequent hospitalizations in early July. Over this past few days, I have been wanting to take the bike out - after all, I have no contraptions left - the wound vac, the chemo pack, the larger bandage on the leg. While being free of these, my energy just did not support the desire and so I listened - a relatively new behavior for me. As I rode along at a moderate pace, I was keenly aware of colors, sounds, the gentle breeze on my face and while I always appreciate these things in nature, there was something more acute about today's experience. I was allowing these natural elements to really penetrate me. My pace was deliberate - not off to prove that I was back in tip top shape - but to be at a pace where my body blended with nature. This is the essence of achieving a spiritual connection with all that is! I have been voraciously listening to philosophy and re-aquainting myself with all the mystical greats - Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi, Mother Theresa - reaffirming that I am on my path and that this road less traveled has been for good reason. Backing up a bit, ever since the leg surgery in July, my surgeon encouraged me to walk, walk, walk, despite pain and discomfort. And I did! I love to walk and I am not one to sit back on my laurels. Each day, I was able to go farther, until Tammie and I reached one of my favorite parks - Fort Sewall. My other favorite park is Chandler Hovey or better known as the lighthouse park. I would eye Chandler Hovey, yearning to ride my bike there which had become a ritual since Spring. Today was that day! How exhilarating to cycle to the other side of the harbor, to sit and look over and see where I've been and where I am at this very moment! I so appreciate my body for having the innate ability to heal despite curve balls. I feel grateful, blissful, energized and capable. Just for you - take these words, close your eyes, roll your shoulders back and down and breathe deeply for a few moments. When settled, repeat these very words for about 5-6 times slowly. Open your eyes slowly and bring them with you - Just for Today! With gratitude, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment