Saturday, September 6, 2014

Chemo: Day Four of Reflection

I awoke early in anticipation of a full day ahead. Before my daughter left for a weekend away, she needed to clean and dress my wound. This is a breakthrough for her, as she was always very fearful of cuts, blood, needles etc, but over the past few years, she has become a champ! I had my breakfast, finished the reflection for the previous day and prepared for my hospital check-in with labs and a nurse visit. Labs were as anticipated - fairly low white cells, but also consistent. This is good news, as it means that the chemo is doing its job - killing off my cells for now. I can also feel the fatigue and mild headachiness that can be a side effect of treatment. On to acupuncture - ah, the stabilization of my body's response, supporting the process of attack while keeping the "chi" flowing as it should. Felt great - vision clearer, energy better. Ready to get groceries and go home for the weekend before the finalization of work to be done for the water damage repairs. All in all, it was a long day - out by 9am, home by 5:30pm. I arrived to the air conditioner not working, but the maintenance fellow came immediately to get things working, at least for now. I ask myself, "what else is supposed to go on here?" Not ruffled (a newer response for me), I decided to take my wonderful walk to Fort Sewall along the water. Tammie sure appreciated getting out and we sat for a bit, just mesmerized by the waves and the serene feeling that the ocean provides. I often refer to this area as my "playground" - a place that is always there for me to enjoy! The next venture was to figure out how to shower without getting my apparatus wet, as I could not be disconnected. I figured it out and it sure felt amazing to let go of the "diaper wipe" baths that I've had for the past few days! Tomorrow night, I will attempt the hair wash and am already planning logistics. Cleaned up, prepping tea and my amazing snack of nuts, berries, 100% dark chocolate and coconut, I spoke with my younger daughter who is now at UMass. She has had a great week and I vicariously am able to be with her by her great descriptions of happenings. I'm now ready to continue to listen to Mind Over Medicine, mentally staying in the place of true healing, knowing that this process is bringing me closer every day. It was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment