Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Chemo: Last Day and I am Free!

I awoke this morning tired as I have been with some stomach stuff - the usual. I had breakfast, checked emails and gathered my files for a longish day of appointments. My chemo stopped by 9am as it was supposed to and I would see the doctor later to have the bag removed. By 10am, Tammie and I were on our walk to Fort Sewall. The sun and cool breeze felt good. We passed through Crocker Park to overlook the harbor and boats - beautiful site as always. I was beginning to feel better and focused on deep breathing. We sat on a nice bench at Sewall and I watched the other dog walkers pass by - everyone is so friendly in this back town and when there is a dog, there is definite conversation. As I sat, I began to feel poorly - like I hit the wall. Vision got fuzzy, heat palpitations began and I had that "buzzy" sick feeling as I describe it. I got up to get back home and upon arriving, took off my shoes and laid down. I felt pretty miserable and there was only an hour before departure. I listened to my daily audio training for the Detox Summit and that took my mind off me for a bit. I finished packing and left for acupuncture - a sure treat, but also an hour drive! Acupuncture did help me to feel better and my treater agreed that my pulse was pretty weak today. I now know that this obscure "sick feeling" has been my low white counts and that the chemo must be doing its job. I met with my doctor an hour or so later and he confirmed that I now officially had my lowest counts and it is time to rebuild the system. I asked about the important things in life - being around people, getting back to work, going to my best friend's daughter's wedding. He told me that since I have responded so well to the neupogen shots, that he would buffer me, thus assisting in this vulnerable next few weeks! I was thrilled. He also told me that I could have the pic line taken out today as well. This was going to stay in for another 2-3 weeks, but I was ecstatic to say the least! What a pleasant surprise on both ends - shots to feel better and get on with life and no more pic line. Of course, I immediately thought of being able to take my bike out for a ride, getting back to yoga and pilates. I will pace myself - newer terminology for me, but I am proud to say that I am reformed! One of the oncologists who worked with me as an inpatient told me that I was the happiest cancer patient she has seen - and I felt it. I feel free, I feel ever so grateful and this past 7 1/2 weeks of being hooked up in some way, has just come to a close. Love your body as it truly is a miracle. Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment