Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Modified Lentil Loaf - An Amazing Vegetarian Alternative

I have used various vegetarian alternatives over the years and while the legume family does not work best for my digestive tract, I still enjoy an occasional treat! As my personal diet has evolved more Paleo/SCD (specific carbohydrate diet), I have been experimenting more in my "lab", the kitchen, in order to create "Julie-Stomach-Friendly" alternatives that often work for the vast group of clients that I see on a day to day basis. Many of my traditional vegetarian patties and loaves call for bread crumbs of some sort. Over the past few years, I used gluten-free, high fiber options, but neither are allowed in the above dietary recommendations. I chose to use fresh flaxseeds, ground, as my alternative, bumped up the eggs for binding and voila, a great Lentil Loaf emerged! Try it with cooked veggies and some sweet potato cubes or on a salad with seeds and roasted red tomatoes or in a coconut wrap with greens and a sprinkle of Daiya cheddar shreds. Lentil Loaf - serves 12 Cook 1 cup lentils as directed on package or in 2 cups water, bring to boil, simmer until water is absorbed Add the following: 1 small onion or shallot, minced 2 carrots, diced 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp each: oregano, sage 1/2 tsp each: basil, thyme 1/4 tsp pepper 2 tbl walnuts, finely chopped 1/2 cup flaxseed, ground 2 eggs Mix well and put into greased 8x4 or 9x5 loaf pan. Bake 350 for 45 minutes. Cover with 1 cup tomato sauce and return to oven for 10-15 minutes. Cool slightly before serving (or it will crumble) or before cutting into slices to freeze for later use. Enjoy! Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment