Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pace, Race and the Tortoise and Hare

So I awoke this morning feeling refreshed, saw the sunlight and looked out to see a crystal blue sky with snow on the cars! It is April 16 and we had 65ish degree temps on Monday with warmth, blooming and many people outside walking. I felt grateful for feeling good today, as this can be a scarce commodity, although more abundant than even three months ago! What immediately came to mind was Pace, not Race. To backup a bit, I have been known to race through things - it became part of my identity to be known as the energizer bunny - also closely associated with the hare that I will talk about. I was known to accomplish so much and it certainly fed my ego as well as my family for the years of single parenthood. When illness struck almost two years ago now, not only did my pace slow down, but I was compelled to look at how the race really had an impact of my physical, emotional and spiritual life. In the back of my mind, I knew that I could not keep up the pace, but I did not know how to get out of the vicious cycle. My daughters, wiser beyond their years, have noted that during this period of healing, when I feel well, I go with all my gusto - starting to put too much back into my life - old ways of being. On this past Sunday, as the sun and warmth crept in, I took a long walk, followed by a bike ride and proceeded to do the same on Monday. I felt great! My energy and stamina are so improved from where they had been, but by Tuesday, I felt lousy - low energy, digestive issues (part of how lyme shows up in me, feeling like this cycle will never end. However, instead of staying the place of "this will never end", I now choose to reflect. My reflection became quite clear - Pace yourself and do not Race. In fact, just last week, one of my esteemed energy workers reminded me of the tortoise and hare story - slow and steady wins the race and also shows the wisdom that we gain with time. Be well and keep a steady pace, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment