Sunday, March 6, 2016

Softening

What thoughts come to mind when you hear the word softening?  Weakness?  Giving in?   Or rather being open to?  Less rigid?

For me, this word kept coming into my conscious awareness while in yoga, while talking with my Dad, while listening to my clients.  In yoga class, I often start out very tight and in a good deal of bodily discomfort.  I usually try to arrive 10-15 minutes early in order to lay on the blocks in order to open the chest and diaphragm area.  This begins my practice in a receptive mode, allowing me to soften into the positions during my hour class.  I really focused on the word and allowed it to gently command and guide my body as it became less rigid.

The theme continued as I entertained a new way of looking at my Dad's living situation.  He is 1 1/2-2 hours away from me, remains very independent, but is having challenges with his memory.  I accompany him on his doctor visits and during this past visit, we also met with the bank, the pharmacy and went to the supermarket in order for me to show him some healthier versions of frozen dinners.  Dad has never been a cook and tends to be a meat and potatoes guy, along with his PB&J sandwiches.  Of course, there are plenty of cookies and candy - very much the nutritionist's nightmare!  At each spot along the way, people recognized him, talked and joked with him and told me how much they enjoy seeing my Dad.

I left this visit with a very different perspective than I have held for the past few years.  While he has been saying that he will get the house ready to go on the market and move closer to me, when confronted, he opts out.  What I realized in my day with him is that I cannot control my Dad's future, even if with good intent.  Of course, I am concerned about safety, medical and all that goes along with having an elderly parent, but I also want my Dad to be in surroundings that are familiar and comfortable for him.  This shift was a definite softening of my thought process and it has felt good all week.

In the third situation with regard to clients, I observed how much I am on top of everything, researching, seeking solutions, wanting to provide healing in cases that seem so challenging.  I can easily lose sight that I am the messenger, but am not in control of the outcome, and when this happens, I take far too much responsibility for others - a lifelong theme.  I kept coming back to this concept of softening and was able to shift to a place of allowing and sharing more.  This, too, felt good.

After all, isn't it about feeling good?  When we feel good, positive energy radiates into the world.  I leave you with this thought for the week - what word will keep you engaged in your journey?

With peace and softness,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment