Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Passion, Palm Sunday, Spring Equinox and Easter/Resurrection

As the days of Holy week arrived, I began by revisiting my church and community for over 20 years, singing with my group for one of the most moving masses for me - Palm Sunday - which depicts the sequence of events leading up to Jesus' death.  It has always been a meaningful week for me, but as these past few years have unfolded, the meaning has grown in depth and breadth - encompassing less religiosity and more communal thinking about what this time of year symbolizes and what "christ energy" means for me.

It's almost like being in a sci-fi movie.  During the Palm Sunday mass, I am brought back to being with Jesus, feeling his emotional pain, feeling misunderstood, teased and bullied, chastised for speaking out about ways of being that did not make sense to those "in control".  We then move into other energies of the week - the vernal equinox and a full moon - powerful influences on emotions and behaviors.  Spring is a time of re-birth, coming into the light.  It is so interesting to look at other cultures and spiritual traditions and basically all are echoing the same thing - bringing light into the world.  I talk about the rising and falling of emotions with my clients during this week - some more challenged than others with this increasing energy of Spring.

In the christian tradition, Easter marks the time when the resurrection of Jesus occurred and we all have this opportunity to be re-born, to bring forth our fruits, to awaken from the dark of winter.  There is a shift that many of us experience, feeling a bit more aware of the increasing energy around us, yet maybe not quite there in our own energy.  For me, it takes a few weeks to adjust even to the one hour time change!  I also had a migraine for much of the week - not uncommon with these subtle shifts and the insomnia that accompanies the full moon.  I have become so aware of these energetic influences and how they impact my body, and I continue to search for ways to soften the bodily experience of these shifts.

I spent a wonderful day with my family, sharing in prayer, a wonderful meal and to start the day, Lindsay and I went to yoga - a weekly treat to listen to Jaishree and Kalanadi, as they sing for sivasana.  Jaishree so nicely acknowledged all the traditions that celebrate this time of year and the Easter tradition of resurrection.  It felt complete for me - unifying all.  After all, that is what life is about!

Happy Easter and Namaste,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment