Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spring Cleaning - Oh The Memories

As the Spring approaches, I begin to look at my schedule to block a few days for washing walls, cleaning curtains and oiling the furniture.  It's a real love-hate feeling - thinking of the hours spent - but oh, the outcome is so rewarding - a clean and orderly environment, my living space, a sacred space!

When I heard that Ashley would be coming home 1-2 weeks earlier, I decided to get right on this and to be prepared for this exciting time.  Somehow, the angst felt less this year.  I marked the days, went to the store to pick up the "Olde English" lemon oil, that Mom always used and just got on it.  Starting in Ashley's room, I cranked up Jason Mraz tunes - a musician that she turned me onto.  As I oiled her bookcase, I thought about Babasia, her grandmmother who was so special in our lives.  I then moved onto the little black rocking chair that my Grampy gave to me when I was little.  I used to sit on his lap and he called me "the winner".  I loved my Grampy - he was so kind and gentle.  The last piece of furniture was Mom's sewing machine that she gave to Ashley.  Mom was an amazing seamstress, making many of my clothes and coats, my wedding dress and the girls's christening gowns.  Ashley took up the hobby and often made her own first and last day of school dresses, with a more recent hobby of making rice filled turtles that are used a warm packs for sore muscles.  I left that room being brought back to happy memories and felt a strong connection with Mom.  After all, I assisted her with this task as a young girl and adolescent.

The day passed rather quickly and I enjoyed the process - not something I could have said as much in the past.  Later on as I talked with Lindsay on the phone, she remarked how she had already started her own Spring cleaning.  What a tradition, now passed onto my own girls.

Now is the time to enjoy the longer days, the waking energy and rebirth that Spring brings.
Plant your own seeds of tradition and of rebirth.

With renewed spirit,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment