Sunday, February 7, 2016

Let's All Play Nice In The Sandbox

As I finish another week listening and supporting patients and continuing along in my own journey to whole health and healing, I continue to be struck with how divisive healthcare or shall we call it disease management is these days.

I will still state that we have excellent emergency care and this is a necessary part of medicine, but where the state of the nation lies with regard to wellness, health promotion and disease prevention or minimizing relapse is quite dismal.

I will not get into the politics of the insurance and pharmaceutical industries, but suffice it to say that these large corporate entities are driving the decisions with regard to education in medical schools, with regard to incentives to prescribe medications and a huge dis-incentive to seek alternatives, often making these options unavailable to those who need it.  We do need medications, but we also need softer forms of therapy that hold powerful solutions, often without the degree of side effects.

In my my own practice, I am being referred by providers or individuals are seeking me out often as a last resort - a desperate hope for someone to listen, connect the dots and to offer hope for a way out of increasing medical challenges.

I find this also on a personal level.  I seek out those who will truly listen and take the time to help me sort through the various challenges that have manifested into full-blown illness or an under-current of just not feeling well.

We all deserve to have vitality, to have bodily systems that are working to their best capacity and above all, we all deserve not only the intelligence of our medical professionals, but compassion and an openness to thinking outside the box, looking into unknown areas for possible answers or supportive measures.

It is time to go back to the days of preschool when what we were taught was to play nicely with others, to take turns and honor the person in front of us.  It's time to put competition into the background and cooperation into the forefront.

In collaboration,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment