Sunday, January 31, 2016

Challenging Body Image and More

As I wrote last week about resurfacing health challenges - in fact the most difficult of all - the gut, I realized a gift in the making.  This process, long, drawn out and painful, has purpose and intention far beyond what meets the eye.

Each day was a new day and what kept me going was knowing my purpose here on this human plane. I am here to serve, I am here to experience challenge but not to succumb to it, I am here to continue to learn how to love and honor what I need.

It would have been so easy to call in sick - oops, I am the boss, but I had patients awaiting my knowledge and support.  This literally got me through my day.  I also honored myself more than ever by cancelling social and outside business plans that were not in my immediate "need to do" list.  I rested more.  And of course, I went to yoga most every day.

There were days on my yoga mat when by belly hurt to lay on the floor, but by the end of the hour, I was more balanced, refreshed, tuned up so to speak.  There were days too, when I looked about 6 months pregnant, bulging over my yoga pants and yet, I kept going.

This bloated belly did not stop me and this was such an amazing win on many levels.  I have worked in eating disorders for over 35 years, counseling women, men, girls and teens, struggling with various eating disorders and body image issues.

I came to this work from my own background with compulsive eating and know all too well, body dysmorphia.  I was challenged with this as a teen and young adult.  In some ways, I wonder who escapes this body denigration since as a society, so much emphasis is put on what's on the outside rather than on the inside.

I felt pretty triumphant in that how I felt and looked did not stop me from taking care of my patients or myself.  My sense of self has strengthened during this challenging few weeks and I do know that when the spirit heals, so follows the body.

To be continued . . .
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment