Tuesday, January 19, 2016

On Forgiveness: Jack Kornfield

As I was perusing the Kripalu catalogue, mouth watering at the many wonderful workshops, continuing ed seminars and yearning to be there for myself, I came upon a feature article by Jack Kornfield, a licensed psycholigist who has also trained in buddhism.  This excerpted article from his book,  Bringing Home the Dharma:  Awakening Right Where You Are, had such a powerful impact on me in the moment, with tears in my eyes.

I began to think about places where I remain stuck in unforgiveness, bringing myself back in time rather than remaining in the present, with the gifts that I now possess. I also recognized the recurring theme of self-blame and a lack of compassion for the self.  I have and am in the process of understanding this theme not only from cognitive-emotional level, but from the spiritual plane as well.  I see how where and when I was born and the family into whom I was born, plays such a rich and vital role in how I transform "fate into destiny", as Robert Ohotto so eloquently wrote and taught about, and how Jamy and Peter Faust have shared in their new book, The Constellation Approach:  Finding Peace Through Your Family Lineage.

As Jack talks about real life experiences of people whom he has met or worked with, he reminds us that "Our own story may not be so dramatic, yet we have all been betrayed."  What he continues to come back to is the theme of the heart and forgiveness - "No matter what happens, we can always return to the greatness of the heart", and "No matter how extreme the circumstances, a transformation of the heart is possible."

What I hope to convey is a message of love, true love, that which is heart-felt from within and extends way beyond ourselves.  To begin, take a few moments to place your hands criss-cross over your heart (a reiki position), close your eyes and begin to breathe deeply with intention.  Say to yourself that you are bringing in light with each inhalation and that you are breathing out darkness - that which no longer serves you.  Feel the warmth of your heart, see it expanding throughout your body first and then into the world.  After all, you are the light of the world.

With Love and Compassion for All,
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment