Saturday, January 9, 2016

Coming Back With Gratitude

This "coming back" has a few meanings and twists - not so unusual from my way of seeing and interpreting life!  Lindsay and I arrived back safely in Boston following a long day in airports, making connections, getting through the interrogations of Customs and found the car dead as we eagerly arrived to get back home.

It was freezing, unlike the temperate but drizzly weather in both London and Amsterdam.  I was unarmed with my AAA card, but the kindness of our bus driver saved the day.  He told us to stay on the airport bus while he called for the tow truck to jumpstart my car.  He also informed us that it had been so very cold over the past few days that this was a common occurrence.

One jumpstart and we were on our way.  Upon arriving in Marblehead, I was anxiously awaiting to see Tammie, my dog.  It had been the longest time away from her except when I was in the hospital and as always, she greeted us with such excitement.  If felt good to be home.  As Lindsay and I walked her to her "duty area", Linds commented about the stars and clears skies.  Yes, the ocean air is clean and the skies beautiful.

While away, I had been brewing a cold, accompanied by the usual stomach discomforts that not only are generally with me, but are worsened by travel.  I had worked very closely with my medical team to support my less than ideal immune system while away, but unfortunately, I did succumb to a whopping upper respiratory infection, fever and general miserable state of being.

This was on my physical plane, but not on my emotional/spiritual one.  I felt such gratitude for being able to spend time with my girls, to see where Ashley is living and to put context to our "whats app" free phone calls and "skype" visits.  It is so amazing how technology has transformed our ability to be with one another while thousands of miles away.

In a matter of moments, the three of us were together as if we were never separated for these past four and half months.  We toured London, ate lunch at the famous Harrod's, took a canal cruise to see the buildings in Amsterdam, and the highlight was dancing the night away on NY eve with music that brought me back to the "disco" days.  I loved it.  Of course, the Amsterdam chaps were so nice and friendly, that while I may have been one of the "older folks" on board, they treated me like one of the "youngins".

Coming back has also broadened my appreciation for what we have here in the US - friendlier customer service, clean restrooms that do not charge to use the "loo", streets not filled with cigarettes.  I thoroughly enjoyed seeing other cultures and the beauty of the history, while also having an awareness of what I am thankful for in my own country.  In one of our many conversations, Ashley expressed similarly - she had expected to fall in love with Europe and to consider moving there for a while.  Why?  She is passionate about non-GMO living, glass not plastic, fresher food.  And while this is so, there are the other public health areas and sanitation aspects that makes her appreciate what we have here.

I am on the mend, having employed my many learnings over these past few years - hot epsom salt baths, coffee enemas, gentle yoga and have also met with a wonderful chinese bodyworker who is quite gifted in the healing arts.  I am truly grateful and excited to begin anew in 2016.

With love,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment