Friday, June 5, 2015

Creativity in the Kitchen: A Spiritual Moment

As I gathered my ingredients for my concoction this morning, I felt such gratitude and excitement for what I was going to not only taste, but also for the nourishment that my body was about to receive.

The colors and textures are beautiful - orange, fuscia, green, varying shades of warm browns and rustic red - colors that also have significance with regard to the chakras and energy frequency, that helps one to attune the body for receiving and giving.

While this sounds a little like something from a sci-fi movie, it is the world that I have embraced even more deeply over this past year - connecting what we can see, touch and explain with the divine and unexplainable.

Back to reality.  I now shift to the humorous statement that my best friend has said jokingly over the years - "You have no taste buds!"  While my taste buds have gone from being addicted to the overly processed junk foods of America to the pure, untouched taste of real food, I also know that in this process, my taste buds now seek all flavors - sweet, salty, bitter and pungent.  I try to satisfy these in my meals and concoctions, as I call them!

One example of faking the body's energy conservation mechanism, or shall we just call it weight gain, is the use of artificial sweeteners.  Humans love sweet and part of this is about survival.  "Mother's milk" is sweet and all animals are drawn to feeding in order to survive.  When one imbibes sugar or a non-caloric sweetener, the pancreas prepares to secrete insulin - even without the calorie intake - because sweet tells the brain that carbohydrate is coming.  The net effect of insulin production is calorie conservation or weight gain, especially in the stomach region!

So what does this have to do with my breakfast?  The balance of tastes - sweet, salty, bitter and pungent - helps the body to self-regulate.  This self-regulation, in turn, allows one to be balanced, aligned, connected on all levels - physically, emotionally and spiritually.  Enjoying a feast with all of our senses is the most powerful way to remain centered and balanced.

Consider trying my delicious combo and adjust components based on where your taste buds may be.  I grew up sugar addicted and only in the past 10 years, no longer desire sugar, so I prefer bitter and pungent, BUT, if you are starting where I was, be gentle or you may not stick with it.  As I told one of my new clients yesterday, it may taste like corrugated cardboard, but you'll learn to love it!

Namaste,
Julie

In a bowl:
1 Tbl good quality organic protein powder
1/4-1 tsp Maca
1/2-1 tsp cocoa powder
cinnamon - I like a lot!
stevia if just starting out
stir together and mix in 1-3 tbl coconut milk or I now make coconut milk kefir
chopped carrot and/or apple
chopped avocado
1 tbl of your favorite nut or seed butter
1 tbl nuts
sprinkle of goji berries
more cinnamon!



No comments:

Post a Comment