Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Ponderances Along the Bike Ride

It has been a remarkable few days with bits and pieces of ah-ha moments along the way.  The highlight was "choosing" to ride my bike early this morning, before a full day of clients.  The sun was shining and I just really knew that being out in nature was where I wanted to be.

To step back a bit, as I have been approaching July, my awareness has been drawn to coming up on a year anniversary of my hospitalization, surgery and chemo.  It all started on July 5 with a migraine, July 6 with a pain in my left hamstring and July 12 with the admission to the "Newton Wellesley Hotel", as I renamed the hospital!

Wow - what a year it has been and I am so aware of my healing journey, how far I have come and how much more there is.  Truly, this is a work in progress on so many levels.  Just last week I was at a 3 day conference about being a leader and a change agent in the world - a lofty, but tangible goal.  What I also realized is that while I have been traveling more these past few months, I also require recuperation time.  I became very aware of that last night when I needed to give into a nap and to go to bed early.  I began to think of the past and how I could just "blow through" anything like a whirling dervish, but quickly realized that I am creating the "new norm" for myself as well as for my clients.

I gave in, nourished myself with needed rest and again nourished myself with a bike ride before work today, giving thanks for living in such a beautiful town.  I used to come here on days off to enjoy this town as recreation or vacation and now, I can "recreate" anytime I want.  The lesson here is to do just that, starting with today's experience.

Along the way, I thought of a few phrases and songs that my Dad used to mention - "One Day At A Time" and " Don't Worry Be Happy".  My Dad has always used humor to get through life and I now see how it has helped to keep him active and involved.

This day and this moment is all we really do have, and so cherish it and live it as you wish!

With gratitude,
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment