Saturday, June 13, 2015

Pondering Sweets and Treats and Taste Buds!

Since I published Feel Great Look Great - Balanced Eating for a Balanced Life, I have been asked when my dessert book would be ready.

I have been adjusting recipes for years now, latest changes being in the gluten-free and paleo departments.  Of course, I use my family as guinea pigs - a job they do not mind at all!  What's great about having them as taste-testers is that each one has differing preferences when it comes to desserts and snacks.

My older daughter, Lindsay, inherited my love for sugar and fat together - the peanut butter and chocolate type person - while Ashley has always been a more savory, salty person, preferring chips and even bacon as a snack!  Scott, Lindsay's boyfriend, does not prefer intense sweet except on occasion and his birthday request for this year is in fact, baklava - surely no low sugar dessert!  He also tends to have oral allergy symptoms, so I must think about cooking fruits, avoiding certain nuts etc.

Last evening, I finally sat down to compile my initial list of recipes that I have either already perfected or ones that I want to adjust in order to fit into my acceptable range for sugar, fiber and calories.  Of course, all ingredients are now organic and nonGMO, even down to the sugar that is used.

I also realize how much my own taste buds have changed over the years - going from a sugar-addicted junkie to someone who does not prefer sweet, but a bit more sour and bitter.  In fact, I have only met one other individual who loves 100% dark chocolate over sweetened varieties!  I have my square every day and the polyphenols and antioxidants are great for heart and brain health.

In fact, dark chocolate is a good source of fiber, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, potassium, selenium and more.  These benefits are in about 100 grams dark chocolate, not more!

I'm looking forward to this next creative venture and will keep you posted for Sweets n' Treats that not only satisfy the palate, but also provide nutrition for the body and soul!

Decadently,
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment