Saturday, May 30, 2015

Humor in the Humanness Part Two

As I approached each morning for about two weeks, I felt more stiff, more foggy, more forgetful.  Hmm, I even started to preface my conversations with my girls stating, "I may have told you this but . . .", and this was mildly disconcerting yet funny at the same time.  I envisioned myself as having my finger in a socket and my hair standing on end, fried and burnt out!

All of a sudden, I had this feeling that it had been a really long time without changing the 3 month estrogen support and when I checked the calendar, voila, I had forgotten to mark it in place.  Now I was about two weeks overdue.

How ironic, this feeling of age and cognitive dullness really impacted my state of well-being.  It was also comical how "ditsy" I felt.  Soon, I began to laugh, called my girls and told them the story.  I also realized once again on a personal level, how much our lives as women are impacted by the communication of the hormonal ebb and flow.

As I look over my history, I was diagnosed with Pituitary Insufficiency which means that the master gland which directs the precursors to hormones, does not work properly in my body.  I've had infertility, hypothyroidism, adrenal imbalance and over the past few years, had really noticed a difference in memory retention and clarity in thinking, until my endocrinologist suggested hormone replacement.

I had been dead set against HRT given all the bad press, but as I've learned more about personalized approaches to replacement, I became more open to the idea.  There was a lot of trial and error in the beginning, but once we established the right doses for each hormone - estrogen, progesterone and testosterone - I began to feel human again.  Eureka - the fountain of youth!

The lesson here is that we are all unique in our individual needs and it is important to seek assistance from professionals who "think outside the box" and who listen to the needs of their patients.

May you feel blessed,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment