Saturday, July 19, 2014

Enlightenment

"In every encounter or experience, there is the potential for gaining our enlightenment, the possibility of finding that one missing piece of the puzzle that brings about illumination. It is our own mind that determines the experience." Masaaki Hatsumi, 34th Ninja Grandmaster. "Initiation introduces us to the world as it really is. The process of initiation - our new found ability to appreciate the gifts of life, to face our challenges head on, and to deal with what is (rather than lose ourselves in a fantasy of how we'd like things to be) - that makes us awake, aware and fully involved in the life we are living." These are taken from the book, The Spiritual Practices of the Ninja. As I am re-reading these pages today, it is no coincidence that I do in fact, feel more enlightened in this moment and in this day. Over these past few days of unknowing, of finding out that while I've amazingly not been really ill since my diagnosis of leukemia just two years ago July 20, that my blood counts are very poor, I've come to really understand that I must redirect my course of action somewhat. What a humbling time. I gave two years to learning, navigating the alternative world, traveling to another country for the first time in my life and developing amazing spiritual and detoxifying practices that have changed my life and my practice style with my own patients forever. The twist for me, however, is in being able to recognize that while other parts of me are quite resilient and healthy, my immune system is not responding and thus the next course of action for me is to combine targeted chemotherapy with integrative practices - homeopathics and supplements, acupuncture, energy and spiritual work. What is also of interest is that I have always been the person who does combine the best of both worlds in my life work - traditional and non-traditional approaches to health and wellness. Another day of renewed satisfaction! Gratefully, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment