Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sweet and Sour Mandarin Orange Almond Salad

I may be dating myself, but I remember the Magic Pan Creperie years ago that offered delicious entree and dessert crepes, along with amazing salads. One of my favorite salads was the mandarin orange-almond salad with a sweet and sour type dressing. Since that time, I developed a dressing that matches the flavors from old! I have played with the ingredients to come up with a dressing that also fits the criteria for those needing to follow guidelines for GI issues. Using Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, which for many assists in digestion and stevia in place of the honey which lowers the sugar content, the dressing not only has the sweet and sour taste, but is nutritionally superior to what I recall being told were some of the ingredients in the original. This salad can be a wonderful summer side or an entree if grilled chicken or shrimp is added. Try this out! Spring greens of other salad greens mandarin oranges, packed in water, drained slivered almonds, oven roasted at 350 for 5 minutes optional: grilled chicken or shrimp Dressing: 1 packet Good Seasons Italian mix add 1/2 cup Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar 2 tbl grapeseed oil 1/4 cup water 2 tbl lite cream or 1/2&1/2 (can also use coconut milk if dairy sensitive) 2 packets stevia Mix together and shake well.

No comments:

Post a Comment