Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Steppin Into Another's Shoes

I"f you could actually stand in someone else's shoes, Julie, to hear what they hear, see what they see, and feel what they feel, you would honestly wonder what planet they live on and be totally blown away by how different their "reality" is from yours. 

You'd also never, in a million years, be quick to judge again. 

Just sayin' - 
    The Universe"

Each day as I go through my day, I am drawn to so many themes to write about.  I think its time to carry the recorder, but given my lack of tech-savviness, not sure I'd know what to do!  On the other hand, just being in the experience of allowing Nature to tweak my thought process and perception, is such a gift!  The birds, ocean waves, rocks and sunlight speak to me in so many ways.

This important theme has already arisen a few times this week - once with my daughter, Ashley, again with a client and then a friend.  I've also talked about this theme in the past, using the analogy of changing one's colored glasses.

My "go-to" position, learned behavior from about the age of two as I've been told by various healers, none of who knew each other, was to "fix-it" for the other person.  Of course, it is well-known in the healing professions that many of us do wonderfully compassionate work based on our own traumas and challenges.  At this time in life, I am more able to step back a bit before diving into the "fix-it" mode and to allow the discomfort of the other to pour out.

It is not easy to be in this place, but I am learning and being open to trusting that this is a part of what the world at large needs.  Let's talk a moment about my discussion with my daughter.  We discovered that she feels intensely, but has a hard time articulating it accurately into words, which can cause confusion, concern and a feeling of being misunderstood.  She's also a Cancer and I will come back to that in a moment.  I tend to think through and prioritize how to manage a stressful or dangerous situation, without feeling at the time.  I have been aware of this pattern for years, knowing the origins very well.  I grew up in an era where "good girls were to be seen and not heard", where feelings were invalidated and usually not allowed to be expressed.  I was often trying to save my Mom.  It has only been the past few years, where I can tap into feeling more and many times there is a sting or "ouch factor", that lasts for a bit, but the good news is that is does subside.  I am a Virgo!

The sun and other signs do give us clues about our personality and some of the challenges we are here to face and transform. Cancer is about feeling deeply, while Virgo is about analyzing and fixing.  

I used some of this discussion with my client, helping her to think about and feel perhaps a little differently about an uncomfortable situation and this became a breakthrough for her.

What is important for us to think about is being in the moment with the person, animal, Nature, stopping the automatic response or unconscious, thus allowing its true nature to become evident.  That often also requires knowing that we are not here to "fix things", but to honor them with the intention of the highest good for all!

Namaste,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment