Sunday, September 13, 2015

Like A Kid In A Candy Store

As I explored intently at the Seven Stars metaphysical book and stone store with my dear friend, I wanted to buy more books and more stones, but kept myself at bay.  I was here to assist her in her first purchase of stones and an accompanying book to learn of their origins and spiritual properties.  And, more importantly, I have way too many interests that soon become "jobs" as my girls have observed over the years,

I've often wondered about my personality and hobbies - do I ADD or do I just take every interest and claim responsibility for needing to become an expert?  Hmm, an interesting dilemma.  As I soar into regaining core energy, I do want to be more involved and have the energy to actually be involved and not just wish or want to.  This feels liberating and at the same time, there is a lesson - a very important lesson to be learned, and it is called PACE!

Part of burnout can be expressed in so many ways and have I have found that as I take on more work and more fun - actually both are the same for me because my work is fun, my battery drains.  I've decided to look more realistically at the day and give myself permission to alter my schedule as I need.  I use this process with my clients all the time and now it is time to look within, realistically assessing my capacity, not the capacity that I think that I "should have".

What a difficult and yet, not so difficult, exercise to try.   One must look at what is basically needed for survival - how much money is needed to pay bills.  What will that take in work time? Am I loving what I do and if not, are there other jobs that may bring more satisfaction into my life, further supplying the "battery" with energy?

While looking at the work part of life, it is also important to think about sleep patterns and hobbies.  Are you getting adequate sleep - the framework for fitting in all the rest.  What hobbies bring you joy?  Are you feeling that you must become an expert or can you just enjoy tinkering?  Hmm, this really brought up a blindspot for me.

I reflected and learned a lot from this question.  Play, as a child,  was not allowed until all the chores were done, and hobbies needed to be "perfected", so to speak.  I remember loving music, dressing up and putting on shows with my best friend for neighbors, family, anyone who would listen!  We charged $.02 for adults and $.01 to come to our shows.  Boy has inflation taken off!

I've wrestled to this day with the whole music piece - the other "candy" in my store of delights.  Instead of just singing or playing the guitar for pleasure, there has always been a purpose and I am revisiting this very dilemma once again.  I've been considering lessons for over a year now - to become more proficient in both guitar and piano - and am now choosing to give it a try.  Why?  Yes, I do have an amazing goal, BUT, more importantly, I want to be at a level of proficiency where I can play along with my buddies or to just pick up the guitar or play the piano for myself or at the holidays.  I recall loving that as an adolescent, which indicates that I do have the capacity to re-learn this once again.

Just a window into the amazing goal - Lindsay and Scott are getting married in a year and they have asked if I will sing and play at the wedding and reception.  What an honor and as we played tunes for over an hour last night, I became so fired up, joy-filled and excited, that I awoke this morning knowing that the lessons do not need to be a report card, but a doorway into enjoying a passion that has been with me since childhood.

Lessons from the Candy Store:
List all the hobbies and work activities that you love
Look at your capacity - sleep requirements, necessary tasks
Play around with fitting in activities that you enjoy
Monitor your "battery" - do you feel energized or drained
Go for it without judgement
Re-evaluate your "battery"

With Light and Love,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment