Tuesday, September 1, 2015

All In This Together – A Song – A Meaning – A Way of Life


 This was a special weekend – one that I shared with my Dad and together, we made a visit to a lifelong friend whom I’ve referenced in past blogs, Fr Steve.  Fr Steve is a priest from Graymoor, NY, the order of the Friars of the Atonement.

The founder of the order, Fr Paul, was a protestant who converted to Catholicism, but what his lifework embodied was to create an environment where “all may be one”.  I’ve been drawn to this philosophy for much of my life, have created and directed musical performances to express this message and this weekend was one that brought both apprehension and excitement, for we were visiting him in a new environment – a retirement home.

In preparation for the 12 hour round trip day that we had ahead of us, I made sure to have my tunes ready for Dad – his favorite being the music from the Swinging Steaks.  I will come back to the Steaks and the song a little later.  I also purchased a book on Audible, asking my Dad if wanted a history book or one on spirituality (my addiction!).  He said that the Course in Miracles sounded interesting, so there it was, ready for the trip.

Packed up and ready to go, accompanied by Tammie (my shih-poo) and Cookie (my Dad’s tiny little bundle of energy), we set off at 7am.  The ride along the shore of Lynn and Swampscott was beautiful – this is where my folks grew up – and we reminisced about the “good ole days”. 
About an hour or so in, I asked Dad if he wanted to listen to music or the book – he chose music – and was he surprised to hear it coming from my iphone!  My Dad was amazing with technology back in the day, but fast forward into present, and it just doesn’t click.  I think I inherited those brain cells because I constantly defer to Lindsay and Ashley for my tech questions!

The playlist that I created had many of Jamie Walker’s songs on it.  Jamie is a long-time friend, fellow musician and is lead of the Swinging Steaks band.  Over these past few years, Jamie has been exploring sound healing and some newer albums have lyrics that truly call us to go deeper, look within, finding our purpose in this mortal life.

As “We’re All In This Together” began to play, of course I started to sing along, but what was truly music to my ears was hearing my Dad sing along.  Not only did it feel so connecting to sing together, but my Dad who fostered my learning to play guitar and has always attended my performances and church services over the years, would never sing himself.  Mom did that.  This was new and it felt great!

I tend to look for these moments of connection because for me, they strengthen the common bond, reminding us that we truly are “All In This Together”. 

Next time you are googling, check out www.swingingsteaks.com -  a truly gifted musical group and spirit-filled people as well!

Namaste,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment