Saturday, January 3, 2015

What A Week On The Matt Can Do

It is just one week since I was on my yoga matt, crying with the pain and stiffness that I was left with post-chemotherapy. Last Saturday was so challenging, as my thighs, hips and arms just felt like steel drums with no elasticity to start my practice with. By the end of the 1 1/2 hours, I was more limber, but there was this excrutiating part starting off. Since Last Saturday, I have been at yoga three times during the week - more than usual - but today, I felt strong, more flexible and able to flow through the vinyasas with more grace and ease than I have had in months. I smiled, have had continued energy today and feel really good, mentally, physically and spiritually. It reminded me of the analogy that I use so often with my clients - the ebb and flow, the crest and fall of the wave - and how this can relate to the more challenging times that we all experience. While I am so aware of the side effects that chemo has had on my body, I also realize that I do not need to remain a victim of its powerful downside - no, I can continue to move forward, not exactly "pushing" but always setting my sight on health and well-being, seeing myself as healed and whole. Yoga has offered me patience, commitment, trust in being alive in this moment and if I stop and reflect on this, it is so powerful to know that this moment is indeed, all we have. Do not let pain stop you - instead, dig inside to harness your power and inner strength and for each moment, be grateful. Namaste, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment