Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Preparing for the Nor'easter

Being my first year living by the coast, I had no idea what to expect for this upcoming storm.  It seems in these past few years that predictions are far from accurate, but I thought it may be a good idea to do a little planning for the "just in case".

As I viewed reports and listened to a few folks, there was a definite concern for the coastal regions due to the high tides.  I wondered if that meant just the cape or up here on the northshore.  All new territory for me.

I took Tammie for her usual walk, stopped off at the grocery to pick up a few items and decided to get a jug of water in case I needed it.  I saw people buying emergency candles and of course, the store was bustling.

My main preparation of course, was in the food department.  God forbid, I do not have enough food!  I cooked up extra hard-boiled eggs, made up burger patties and cooked enough sweet potato cubes for multiple meals.  Always thinking of my proteins, starches and of course the veggies can be raw.  I made up extra iced coffee - my guilty pleasure and vice!

The storm was wild yesterday, winds blowing so hard that it hurt to open my eyes.  I donned my red face mask (the girls gave it to me a few years ago when I would jog at 6am), double layers of pants, a vest, mittens and my jacket.  Tammie had her new storm coat on and we ventured out for all  of just a few minutes.  I loved it but needed to wait for the wind to die down a bit.

Later on, I decided to dig out the car.  Well, that was a project - the whole front of the car was buried due to drifting, so getting inside was not doable.  Our condo manager came by with the plow and made the process so much easier.  I met new neighbors - something I have always loved in these storms.  People come out and come together - something to be said about being humbled by the elements - the forces above and beyond us.  It felt great and I felt strong,

Since we did not lose power, I had food already prepared and was able to just focus on my creative work and skyping with clients - we were all safe and warm in our homes.

This morning's creation was a hard-boiled egg, turkey bacon, mashed with mayo, mustard, pepitas, roasted red tomatoes, chunky parmesan and wrapped in a coconut wrap with lettuce.  Additions were chopped carrots, fennel and oven roasted sweet potatoes.  Of course, I add the yummy organic ketchup!

Today is brighter, so fresh and clean and I will take Tammie for her snow walk - a favorite for us both!

With Eagerness
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment