Monday, May 29, 2017

Step to the Beat of a Different Drummer

It is a beautiful Spring day and a holiday. With consciousness, I chose to really step to the beat of a different drummer, something that does not come easily to me.  My drumbeat has been a fast-paced, on the move beat, even during periods when a slower beat may have been a better choice!

While there have been many reasons for my move and to this particular location, in part, it has been to really reset my way of being, to rewire my "energizer bunny" mode.  And today was the first day where I allowed myself to really participate on all levels - mind, body, spirit.

The day began with my waking once again feeling exhausted, allergic, stiff and a bit tearful that I was not feeling so great.  I realize that I have been on the go and in crisis management mode for months, that it would take some time for my body and brain to relax and rejuvenate, but come on, I've been here now a month.  Let's get on with it!

I went to yoga, feeling cared for by my instructor who has this wisdom and compassion, much like Heather and Kristina, and by the end of class, I was already in a different place.  That inner knowing that usually comes with my yoga practice, felt more solid today and there was a lightness of heart and visual clarity that I have not had in a long time.

I decided to stay present to the moment, asking myself what I wanted to do at that time, rather than planning.  My general mode is to have everything efficiently planned so there is no waste of time.  Mistake number one from my past!

I had become so programmed for efficiency that there was no room for impromptu joy!  My day unfolded beautifully and it sure didn't hurt to have warmth and sunshine.  I rode my bike to the market for a few groceries and Tammie's organic, grain free dog food.  She's on a similar diet to her mom!  Gotta love it.

I walked TT many times in between as she never refuses a walk.  I went to this really cool library/bookstore called Bart's Books.  It is an outdoor library with awnings, garden tables and chairs and I sat, reading for an hour.  Upon arriving home, I picked more Loquats from my tree, washed and cooked them.  I then walked to a local artisan shop which was closed, but there were free rocks and driftwood branches - exactly what I was seeking to make a wall hanging.

While being out and about, I viewed the mountains, the trees and the beauty of this community.  Arriving home, I felt content and satisfied, ready to clean my apartment, prep for my work week and now settle into writing this accounting of the day.

The next time you feel down, like things are never going to change, stop and change the beat, reprogram yourself.  It's worth the effort!

A new day is dawning,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment