Saturday, July 4, 2015

Reaction, Experience and Perception - Or Is It The Other Way Around?

For me, it is both, depending on which end we are experiencing.  This came alive for me along the morning bike ride this week - something that I was able to do given weather and desire to be outside for my exercise.

When I used to visit Marblehead years ago to bike ride around the town, it was fairly easy to navigate the streets, but today, with increased traffic congestion and much bigger cars and vans, being in the street is not so safe, hence part of the ride on the sidewalks.

I am a careful rider, never having been a dare-devil - and this works well with sharing the sidewalk with pedestrians.  Or so I thought!  As I pulled out onto Atlantic Ave, a couple was walking along.  I slowed down, pulled over far to the right and as I approached them, the gentleman glared at me and said multiple times over, "ride on the street, ride on the street."

I just kept riding, said nothing and was on my way.  A little later on, while on Ocean Ave, I was on the street and a speed walker was approaching.  I made eye contact and this person just did not move to the sidewalk.  The traffic here can be challenging and pulling out further into the road just does not make much sense here.  We passed one another rather closely, but I felt that territorial bristle as I rode by.

I was off and running with my analysis, also being vigilent of not jumping to judgement or condemnation of the other.  I was aware of my body's response, however - increased heart rate, churning stomach, a little feeling of territoriality myself, from a self-safety place.

I did not judge this, but chose to observe and then began on my quest to understand what I experienced - glares, angry comments, no recognition of sharing space.  What does this mean?  As a unique individual, we all have collective experiences that make up part of our personality.  I am careful not to say "who we are", because this is where we can get into trouble.

We are all part of the same energy and existence - we share this common thread called life with all other beings, but what is different for us is that as humans we also interpret, perceive and act based on these perceptions.  How I see life is unique and not how anyone else does.  And how someone responds or reacts is part of the collective experiences and perceptions from that person.

Ahha - how knows what this many has experienced before when faced with a cyclist.  He may have been hit and is not just claiming the space of the sidewalk.  It may not be rudeness, but fear.  I will never know and for me, I chose to let the judgement go.  I will remain safe on my travels and will choose to breathe through these events rather than allow the stress response to take over.

Message for the day - just breathe!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment