Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Address Book

As I've written my holiday cards this year, I realize that my address book is really out of date - in fact, it is so old, erased and pages torn, that it brought me back in time to years past. My Mom always updated the book for me - something that I did not appreciate as much until this year. To set the stage, I like to take time, sitting by the lit Christmas tree with my tea, writing out my cards, usually with a very brief, but thought-filled message to the person or family. It's more about my memories and gratitude for their being in my life than the update. I've tried a variety of versions - the typed annual letter, the signature only and this year, being in a moment of love and gratitude! I notice as I continue my journey of healing cancer and lyme, that I am drawn inwards so much more - taking time to reflect on my present state of being, feeling so grateful to be alive - to take my ocean walks, to see the holiday lights adorned on many homes and shops, to bake my annual treats to give to those near and dear to me. This year in particular, I've not gotten into the frenzied mode of the never-ending checklist. Instead, I go to yoga more often and have added a meditation class to the mix. While meditation has been on my radar for years, I did not have the desire or discipline to do it - after all, quieting myself would have been an impossibility - or so I thought! It is a discipline and the rewards are great. In only a few weeks, I do notice the calming aspects, the ability to come away seeing life in a more balanced perspective. If I can offer some pearls of wisdom today, they include: Set the stage for being in an environment that fills you with peace and gratitude - sitting by a fire or candle, having your fragrant cup of tea, breathing in peace and love for self and others Add in a ritual of self-reflection or meditation to bring more balance, calm and peace into your life - it will spread to others Reach out to others at this time of year - a holiday card, a phone call, a visit And keep your address book current! In Gratitude, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment