Saturday, November 1, 2014

Shades Of Brown

As I did my daily walk with Tammie (my little shih-poo), I noticed the beautiful shades of brown, yes brown, of the leaves on the trees and those which had fallen. I was immediately drawn to my shamanic meeting a few years ago, as well as my recent interest in using colors for meditation and focus. Brown bear was introduced to me about 2 1/2 years ago, after making my alternative cancer therapy trip to Germany. The wise counselor, Hannelore, suggested that I connect with a shaman upon my return. I had been interested in the idea since we have a fair amount of american indian in our blood, some of uncles looking close to right off the reservation! I had a 3 1/2 hour session with a delightful shaman who re-introduced me to the power of rocks, feathers, sticks and power animals or animals that come into our lives to represent areas that we may need some assistance from. She quickly identified "brown bear" for me and as I review the qualities of bear in general, it makes so much sense for me (and for you) to ponder this wonderful creature's habits and adaptive survival techniques. An overarching theme of bear is to go deep within oneself to find/identify the resources that are necessary for survival and then to bring them forth or awaken once revealed. This cycle is akin to the winter hibernation and spring awakening that bears go through. Bear is also protective, is swift and adept with running/climbing - resourceful. Bears' kidneys shut down in the winter for reserving function and the kidneys are a sign of discernment and discrimination. Ah - the lightbulb goes off! I grew up not learning to trust my instincts or inner wisdom; to fear the world and environment; basically to shun any intuition that was endogenous to me. This is not to name and blame, but to realize that much of what we come to believe as truth, is really the experience of another imbued upon ourselves. During this journey of health recovery, I have learned to listen to and to take the solitary time to balance the internal with the external - and I shall never go back! From a color perspective, brown is about establishing healthy boundaries. It is an earthy color which acts as a conduit between the earth and the heavens and helps one to create balance. It assists inestablishing trust in universal wisdom - seeing and using the earth connections for our good and the good of others. This was a huge theme in my work with both Hannelore and Susan, the shaman. They talked about the wonderful capacity that I held to support and inspire others, but the down side was that I gave completely of myself without maintaining a healthy boundary. Another friend/colleague at a completely separate time, channeled this very same concern for me and we worked on some visualizations to help me give to others while not completely self-sacrificing. What an amazing journey. I truly love my time in nature, being able to make connections that not only work for me, but can be used for the higher good of all! Check out Ted Andrews "Animal Speak" and Inna Segal "The Secret Language of Color". If nothing else, it is fun! Namaste, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment