Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Lessons From A Bike Ride

One of my favorite all-time activities is bike riding and I tune my old red mongoose every year. While not pretty, new or shiny, it still works! On these beautiful Fall days, I have taken my bike for the ride around Marblehead Neck and I stop at Lighthouse Park which overlooks the harbor. There I watch the water and immediately feel a sense of calm come over me. It has been a mixed week physically and emotionally. The good news is that I am five days out from 24/7 itching - what a relief to have that mostly gone and to get a more restful sleep at night. I had just about exhausted my deep breathing and visualization techniques, readying for the cuckoo factory! I have felt grateful for this move towards my healthy self. On the other hand, I have been very tired and one of my cancer predictors came back improved, but not yet normal. The other test was missing from the lab, thus needs repeating. What I began to feel was "will this ever change", "will I need to do chemo again", "will I ever be cured"? As I focused on these questions, I became trapped, somewhat anxious - not good feelings. As I peddled along the road, I peered out over the water and looked at the beautiful estates, trees and rocks, and came back to a place of comfort. All of a sudden, I made the connection between riding my bike and my questions. When one rides a bike, it is important to stay focused and to look ahead, but not too far ahead - ah, the key! I was able to recognize my old behaviors of taking my past experience, making it my present and predicting my future as well. I am well, I am still in the process of healing and I do not need to hold onto fear which will only magnify the liklihood of creating my future with my past! I spend a good part of my day when not working with clients, using the quantum physics medicine theory of visualizing my health and my life as I want it, seeing it as already accomplished. The technique has brought me this far in my healing journey and will continue to do so. An interesting aside to all of this is the "theme" of the week. I often find that my clients come in with different stories, but similar themes or paths to wellness that must be transformed and they are usually themes that I, too, am wrestling with. I am often giving advice and at the same time, taking notice to do the same. How interesting and no coincidence, indeed! The take-home message here is to really pay attention to the activities you engage in and see the common threads to your thoughts and emotions. It is all tied together. Now take a bike ride before the snows come! Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment