Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pizza With A Twist

Who doesn't like pizza! I decided to try the cauliflower crust version tonight and it was a fun experiment. The next time, I will add some ground flax or chia seeds to the mix - or even a little of both - to create a more stable crust. The flavor was quite nice and while the cauliflower did hold together with the egg and cheese as binders, it did lack a bit of the crispiness that a flour crust offers. I also find for myself, that bulk is needed to create the feeling of fullness for me, thus a salad and extra oven roasted peppers, round out the meal. To make the crust, the cauliflower needs to be processed into a rice-like consistency. It is then mixed with an egg, 2-3 ounces of grated or shredded monterey jack cheese - I use pasture-fed dairy products - healthier and more digestible. Mix in a pinch of basil, parsley and oregano and form into a ball. As I mentioned, I will add 2-3 Tbl ground flax and/or chia next time and let it set for a few minutes to create the gel-like consistency. Flatten the crust on a pizza pan and bake 450 for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, scramble ground buffalo or grass-fed 90% lean ground beef and add crushed tomatoes and more basil, oregano, parsley and garlic. Too the crust and sprinkle with parmesan or shredded mozzarella. Return to the oven to melt the cheese, remove and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving. What a fun meal and of course, this pie can be creatively changed with different meats, veggies, spices and cheeses. For example, I sometimes saute chicken strips with frozen, thawed and drained spinach. I then add some organic ricotta and parmesan, garlic, mixing all together and top the crust accordingly. Put on your creative cap and have fun! Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment