Sunday, November 23, 2014

Traditional Bread Stuffing and Fond Memories

Over the past few weeks, as I am preparing the traditional Thanksgiving meal for my family, I have been reminiscing about my Mom's "best in the world" bread stuffing! I also thought about how my best friend, Jeanne (we even talked about it today!), would come over on Thanksgiving evening in order to have some of Mom's stuffing and apple pie. I can even remember the pan she cooked it in. Of course, I've been tinkering in my head how to reproduce this gem with many fewer carbs and calories, while still keeping the flavor and texture. Not always an easy task, but one of my fun, creative activities! While Mom would saute the onion and celery in a whole stick of butter until translucent, I have chosen to cut some of the fat with chicken broth - one of my best kept secrets! My girls and my Dad will be here for the day and overnight, so that we can keep some of the tradition in tact, given that so much has changed over this year. First of all, Mom passed away last Fall, I moved mid-winter and landed in the hospital for a good part of the summer. You know what, we have so much to be grateful for and I, for one, am very excited to bring the old and the new together. Please enjoy the Bread Stuffing recipes and if you prefer, good old, regular (GMO fortified!) bread, enjoy - it is only one day of the year. With Blessings and Gratitude, Julie Gluten-Free Bread Stuffing 1 loaf gf bread, cubed and dried or lightly toasted 300 for 5-7 minutes ¼ cup butter melted ½ cup chicken broth ½ cup each: chopped onion and celery 1 Tbl Bell’s Poultry Seasoning ½ tsp salt, pepper to taste Paleo Bread Stuffing 1 loaf paleo bread, cubed and dried or lightly toasted 300 for 5-7 minutes ¼ cup butter, melted 1/3-1/2 cup chicken broth ½ cup each: chopped onion and celery 1 Tbl Bell’s Poultry Seasoning ½ tsp xanthan gum ½ tsp salt, pepper to taste Directions: Saute onion and celery in butter. Add chicken broth Mix bread cubes with dry ingredients Knead all ingredients lightly to as not to pack down too tightly Bake 375 to warm and crisp approximately 20-30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment