Saturday, August 17, 2013

Lemon Meringue Pie: All Is Well

On Wednesday, it was my Mom's birthday and she is not a real cake person, but loves pies, especially lemon meringue.  I usually bake a homemade dessert for my family members on their birthday and have been doing this since I started baking and cooking in the 6th grade.  This year was a mixed bag with regard to celebration because my Mom has been quite ill.  She is on a renal diet and dialysis, thus many foods and beverages are limited.  In fact, she was supposed to be home from the hospital, but has had one complication after another.  When our family arrived to the hospital on Wednesday, she was not feeling well and was quite hungry because she had not been allowed to eat in order for medical tests to be done.  As we opened cards for her, showed her the flowers and old photos from the family album, we also presented the pie.  She  was happy to have a piece of the pie and felt better - I'm sure part of that was raising her low blood sugar from having no food all day. 

It is now Saturday and my Dad has been bringing her a slice every day.  When I arrived this afternoon to see her, Dad brought her in another slice and immediately her eyes lit up.  She savored every bite, seemed more content and I knew that while my Mom is quite ill with aging diseases, at least in this moment, all is well!

Food has so many meanings in our lives and one of those meanings is an expression of love.  Every culture has their expression of love being associated with food and this is wonderful as long as food is offered and not forced.  Never feel offended if someone does not accept a food offer - this is truly an individual choice.  Keep it simple and be grateful!

Next blog, I will share some tips for adjusting recipes to keep them delicious and nutritious at the same time.

With joy and gratitude,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment