Sunday, August 13, 2017

Remembering Mom With Healthy Fudge!

Tomorrow is Mom's birthday and I have been aware for the past week - remembering her last birthday in the hospital. I asked what she wanted, as she was never a big cake person and her response was lemon meringue pie, so there you have it, I made her pie from scratch and she was so happy.

As I was talking with Ashley this week, we recalled how much of a fashion eye she had.  She was an amazing seamstress, making all of my first day of school dresses, coats, fancy pants etc.  She had an eye for color, jewelry and accessories.

What was most striking about Mom however, was how much she cared about people - sending cards, letters, making calls to say hello.  It is something that I have continued in my life and have passed it down to the girls.  In this day and age of texting and computer cards, somehow people remark about the old fashioned letter or card, feeling special.

As I went through my day today, I felt emotional - happy thoughts, some tears, really feeling the tug of missing her.  Ironically, I was preparing food for a meeting that I am hosting this week and the dessert that I decided to make was the healthy fudge from my Sweets and Treats cookbook.  Reason being is that one of the staff cannot have eggs, so it ruled out many of the recipes or I would be using flaxseeds or some other substitute.

This fudge recipe came from my Mom's collection and when I would make it as a teen - started cooking by 5th grade - Mom and I would eat the entire batch!  To this day, the recipe, even in its cleaned up version, is to die for.  I smiled as I rolled them and placed a walnut 1/2 on each for decoration.

Tomorrow will be a celebration of her life - one that I will cherish for the rest of mine.

I love you Mom
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment