Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Happy Birthday Dear Ashley

My youngest has now officially turned 21 – where did the time go!  It has been a birthday month for her, beginning with our trip to Kripalu to see Bruce Lipton.  This was life affirming for us both, as we travel this path of “off the beaten path” mind-body-spirit medicine together.  On her day, she met with a colleague of mine to have an astrological assessment done, another fascinating affirmation that there are no coincidences in life and that all in this universe is connected – the fun and not so fun, the easy and the not so easy!  For both of us, this provides a framework in which to understand ourselves in relation to the world.

Last evening, we had the annual family dinner prepared by Moi – I’m honored to have my girls and Scott, request a favorite meal and dessert on their special day.  Ashley requested crusted chicken, pesto, oven roast potato, tomato basil mozzarella and broccolini with garlic bread.  All gluten free and balanced in nutrients, of course!  It was a delightful dinner on the porch by candlelight and then she, Lindsay and Scott (Lindsay’s fiancé) were off to a rooftop setting and a dance club.  From the few photos and snapchats that I saw, the evening was delightful, fun and safe at the same time.

I am so proud of my family and their responsible, yet fun nature when it comes to drinking.  I’ve given them opportunities over the years to enjoy alcohol and while I’ve heard of some of the common experimental times that they have had, both have weathered the peer pressure pretty well.  It is not easy to be “normal” yet “not normal” at the same time and I use these terms to elaborate some fine points about how we view the various “forbidden fruits” in this country. 

When I am talking with young adults in my office or with my girls (unfortunately Lindsay being older got the stricter version of me!), I emphasize safety first, then begin to explore what is the person looking for – acceptance, anxiety reduction, to truly enjoy the experience with self-respect.  These are the most important aspects to entertain within ourselves and with our children.

I truly look forward to many more adult years with my girls and continue to marvel at each stage of development.

May you be blessed,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment