Saturday, October 10, 2015

Offline But not Off Course

So we had this wild weather a week and a half ago and my printer was affected in the weirdest way.  First the scanner went off, then the print-computer connection, then finally, even the USB would not function.  Messages showed the wireless was working, yet the printer could not be seen.

This even stumped by PhD IT guy for over a week.  Now that I am online, able to print, send, scan, I am back in action and it took til later last evening to finish all the backlog.  What was more profound was to observe my reaction or shall we say, lack of reaction.  I was able to take things in stride, seeing this as an inconvenience, but not a disaster.  I was also very aware of how dependent we are as a society on computers and living in an instant world.  When things fall apart in the daily functioning, it is important to be creative.  I made a list of all the doctor notes that needed to be printed and mailed, I emailed the goals and treatment plans to patients and kept things moving along.  I even had to let go of a few things, such as my blogging and writing for the newspaper, but guess what, all is well!

This mentality has been spreading into other areas of my life as well.  There's the retreat project - a lifelong dream of creating a center where people can come to rest, learn, eat healthfully and immerse themselves into a world of total health-  mind, body, spirit.  This project has morphed into a very large undertaking and I was aware of the little voice in my head saying "Can you really do this", "Do you have the energy, knowledge to pursue this", "How are you going to finance this thing".  All reasonable fears and doubts, but as I continue to move forward, I talk with people who know more about specific areas and I take on what I can without allowing the mind to race too far ahead.

This all takes practice because my norm is to become filled with self-doubt, racing thoughts and an inability to move forward in areas that I have not mastered.  I find yoga and being outdoors to offer me balance.  These have really become my leverage, even on days when I don't want to do it.  I will stop and look at the end goal and readjust myself to "just do it", because it works.

Moral of the story is that there is nothing that cannot be overcome.  And often times, the strategies right in front of us are the most powerful.

Just Breathe!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment