Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Humor In The Humanness Part “ “: I’ve Stopped Counting

Well the day has arrived for Ashley to return from her year abroad in Amsterdam and I am here at Logan, patiently waiting, catching up on the never-ending work (but I do love what I do-serving others!).

Interestingly, this day is also accompanied by a 24 hour urine test – one of the many tests that I repeat to see how my treatment plans are going and to adjust accordingly.  Fortunately and unfortunately, I continue to be one of those mystery patients who has puzzling issues, labs to show abnormalities, yet no easy course of identification.  I say both fortunate and unfortunate because I continue to live and manage well above and beyond expectation AND I can identify and feel such compassion for the countless clients who end up on my doorstep with similar challenges – different illnesses but also ones that do not fit neatly into our current medical paradigm.

Well the humor is captured by needing to carry my “jug” and the accompanying catch cup and glove in order to be sanitary in the process.  Given that I am also in one of my gut flares, I am chugging water to initiate “rotor rooter”, you know, moving that poison out of the body!
Well, the company provided two jugs for those who urinate a lot, but it is not even half-way through the day and I am into the second jug.  Oh my, what to do!  Additionally, I was unsure if I was going to need to go through the pat-down in order to meet Ash, but thankfully, there is a large meeting area outside of customs, so no frisking for today.  Phew!

Feelin good, excited and just needed to share the intricacies of modern healthcare.  It certainly requires a sense of humor in order to take care of oneself, otherwise, you’ll get sick from the angst and anger.

On the road to health and well-being,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment