Friday, August 14, 2015

Lessons from a Kayak

I was determined to get that kayak out of the boat room and into the water before the season ended and today was the day!

Last year at this time, I was recovering from surgery and most Sundays, my Dad came to have lunch and we visited the various parks around town that had magnificent views of the harbor.  During one of our visits, I mentioned how someday, I hoped to have a kayak to paddle around in the water.

I love active sports and have often enjoyed kayaking with Ashley, an event that we did each Fall as the leaves were changing colors.  About a week after our visit, my Dad called and asked if I recalled the conversation about the kayak and I said yes.  Excitedly he told me that I was the proud owner of a kayak.  Wow - was I excited AND I needed to be patient, waiting until this summer to enjoy it.

First came the storage issue and my good friend Jamie, kindly offered to store it for the winter.  Then came waiting for room to become available in our boat room here at the condo.  Once that happened, I was ready to go, except one thing - the boat room door, carved out of ledge, was only 28.5 inches wide and my kayak was much wider.

Not only was the kayak wide but it was heavy.  I could not tip it up and pull it at the same time.  Searching from hardware stores to boat stores to outdoor stores, I came up with nothing.  Determined to make this work, I began my creative thought process.  Heck, I've been using hammers and nails for years and in fact, I reminisced about making a bunk bed with an underneath study desk for Ashley and with Ashley.  We had just moved into our new condo when she was in elementary school and we decided to create a funky room - painting with texture and color and making this top bunk and study below.  She had the most interesting room - one that her friends loved to visit.

I came up with an idea and went to Home Depot to talk with the guys there to gather my materials.  I came home with a dolly that was narrow enough and 4 heavy angled strappings with screws to bolt them in.

As I approached the boat room today, I was excited to launch the kayak and did just that!  It was a magnificent day with bright sun and a gentle breeze.  I felt accomplished, relaxed and energized.  I felt grateful for having learned some creative ideas from my Dad and for his gracious gift of the kayak.  I also honored my Mom'd birthday today - anniversaries are important to me - and my Mom loved the ocean, always wanting to come back to her roots here on the northshore.  Today, I felt her loving presence.  Thank you Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment