Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pesto In December?!

I had vowed never to be a 3 store grocery shopper but trying to follow a budget and feed my family with fresh and organic food, quickly changed that thought! I found myself embracing 3 and sometimes 4 places to purchase interesting foods. This week while at BJ's - my first stop of the week to purchase some organic veggies, grass fed bison and other organic meats, large bags of organic tortilla chips - there was organic fresh parsley and basil. I could not resist to purchase them and to plan a family meal with my version of pesto. I have found that many of these delicious sauces are very dense in fat/oil and this not only is very caloric, but can feel heavy on the digestion. I have experimented over the years using chicken broth to make up part of the liquid volume in many of these sauces. This lighter sauce can be used over pasta, grilled chicken breast, as a salad topper or even to top a baked potato! Try this version and reap the benefits of amazing herbs and the monounsaturated, heart-healthy olive oil. I use organic ingredients. Julie's Pesto: 2 tbl olive oil 3/4 cup plus 2 tbl organic chicken broth 1/4 cup parmesan cheese 1-2 garlic cloves 2 cups fresh basil leaves 2 tbl pine nuts or walnuts Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Store in covered container in refrigerator Bon Appetit! Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment